Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wednesday's mailbag

Wednesday's mailbag brought lots of good news. I received my "official" notification of acceptance to East Carolina University as well as an unofficial email notification of acceptance to West Virginia University. WVU even mentioned the possibility of a partial tuition scholarship. I plan to schedule a meeting with the graduate director at WVU next week to find out more information.

So now it is deciding between three schools. While I am leaning toward ECU, I will have to weigh all options carefully and make sure that I make the best decision for all of us. Salisbury has a good research center and faculty, but their small program means taking classes of little or no interest (like Latin America history) in order to complete the program on time. If I get the assistantship I applied for, Salisbury is the most affordable option. East Carolina has the program that is specific to my interest and seems to have a decent program in public history as well, which would be a good supplement to any field of historical study. With the Academic Common Market, I would be eligible for in-state tuition rates which makes it more affordable than WVU. WVU is the easy option. No stress of finding new jobs or selling the house. WVU also has an excellent public history program to supplement my studies, but does not have a formal program in my area of interest. Even with a partial tuition scholarship or a tuition waiver as a graduate assistant, WVU could still be the most expensive option.

Wednesday's mailbag brought much to think about and hopefully we will be able to settle some of our stress by making a decision very soon.

1 comment:

Mama10EE said...

Must be nice (and hard) to finally have some options! Of course I am voting for WVU, but I know that it probably won't be the way things go. As we said before, if you go to ECU, we will definitely be down to visit and crash your pad during WVU football.

But seriously, how can you even think about leaving this crazy town?!?! You know you'd miss it.