Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sobering Day

Today has been a sobering day for the Risk family. We turned down our potential buyer's second offer and removed our house from the market. We have withdrawn our acceptance to Salisbury University in Maryland and East Carolina University in North Carolina. Currently, we are debating on withdrawing my acceptance to West Virginia University and sitting the academic year out. More realistically, not returning to school...period.

Although I have expressed my dislike of Morgantown, the state of West Virginia, and West Virginia University, it is not simply about me or the two years it will take to complete my degree. WVU is an acceptable school. Morgantown and West Virginia are tolerable for two years. I have already tolerated them for eight. It's much bigger than that. It's about the fact that in two years, nothing will change. We will go through the motions of leaving, but when the time comes, it won't happen, no matter how much I want to leave. (You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.) With no careers in history in the area (except for WVU if you have a PhD), there will be no reason to spend time, money and energy earning an MA. I would never have the chance to use it.

Some may read this as me being pessimistic. I have never considered myself a pessimist or an optimist. I am a realist. One of my better traits is to visualize the future and work towards that goal. If I do not return to school, I will become too involved with James and everyday life to ever return.

1 comment:

Mama10EE said...

Well, this certainly explains a lot about today. My only comment is to not lose sight of your dreams...even when they are not immediately within reach. I think realism is the hardest of the three types to be. Your family and friends will see you through whatever path you and the Risk Family decide to wander down.