Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stupid America

I am not sure if it is my frustration over the recent graduate school rejections or just the annoyance of a pet peeve of mine, but recently I came across something that struck me as so totally stupid, they should shoot somebody. Yes, it is time for a soundoff.

On Saturday, Lori, James and I did some shopping and stopped for lunch at the Ryan's restaurant in Clarksburg, WV. While we were eating, I took a few moments to read the milk carton from James' lunch. I was completely stupified when right below the ingredients (milk) were the words "Allergy Warning: Contains Milk". DUH! Isn't that what you would expect to find in a carton of MILK? Why do manufacturers feel the need to insult the intelligence of their consumers? I saw a similar warning on a carton of eggs - "Warning: This Prodcuct Contains Eggs". No Kidding? My carton of eggs actually contains eggs? How about that. And I thought I was buying little oblong balls of cheese when I picked up the carton that read "Grade A Large Eggs". I am really glad they printed that warning on the carton to let me know. I would have had a really hard time figuring out why my grilled cheese sandwich tasted like, you know, eggs.

Is this just not the absolute stupidest thing you've ever heard of? Oh, no wait, that lady that called 911 three times because McDonald's ran out of Chicken McNuggets gets that honor. I mean come on folks - warning us that we are buying eggs or milk when we know and intend to buy eggs or milk is ridiculous. America is smarter than that - aren't they?

1 comment:

Mama10EE said...

I think it's more to protect themselves from lawsuits...e.g the coffee incident at McDonalds, where the woman WON that lawsuit and now the coffee cups say Caution:Hot!. So I don't think it's an insult to the general population, just a protection from the 911 Chicken Nugget ladies of the world.

Hope you are doing OK.