Sunday, March 15, 2009

Friday/Saturday Mailbag

I don't know which day the mail came because I was out of town, but at some point on Friday or Saturday, our list of possible relocations narrowed even more. Pittsburgh is no longer an option for us as the University of Pittsburgh did not find me worthy enough of their program. Although the department did not impress me, I was quite surprised by the rejection. Pittsburgh had been my safety net school - the one I thought I would get into no matter what happened. I really felt I had the best repertoire with the professor I would have studied under and I really felt from our meeting that my interests fit nicely with the departments.

The remain two schools are Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio and the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware. I have decided to apply to a couple of Master's level programs as a backup plan. I am considering East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina; Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia; and Salisbury University in Salisbury, Maryland. Each of these three Master's programs have exactly what I wish to study - maritime history, but attending one of these would mean moving twice for graduate school - once for my Master's and once for my PhD. With Delaware and Ohio State, I would be in the same place for both degrees. At this point, no news is good news, so let's hope and pray that I don't hear anything for a while.

No comments: