Saturday, April 11, 2009

Update on Graduate School

Well, there is not much to say about an update to Graduate School. I still have not heard back from Ohio State, the last of my original six applications. I am not sure if that is good news or bad that I haven't heard yet, but it has put our lives on hold for the time being, unable to make plans for much of anything. We are proceding with the updates to the house on the assumption that we will be moving, we just don't know where or when and that can be stressful.

I am visiting Norfolk this week to see the department at Old Dominion and the traveling to Salisbury, Maryland to visit the history department at Salisbury University. These are two of the Masters programs to which I have recently applied. I have not heard from either, but we are hoping for something soon. I also applied to East Carolina in Greenville, NC and hopefully will get to visit the department there before the end of the semester.

As a back up plan to all of this, I broke down and applied to West Virginia University, but please keep this under wraps. Many people will be happy to hear this once it gets out, but it is strictly a backup to our backup plan. It was really hard for me to actually accept applying to WVU for several reasons. First, with the exception of a handful of people (they know who they are), I have absolutely hated living here. I am a big city individual that thrives on the stress of a fast paced chaotic environment. I am at my best in the chaos of the urban world because I have a knack for making sense out of all the chaos. This rural environment is too slow and, well too rural for me. Applying to WVU opens the door to the possibility of us staying in Morgantown for another 2 years - something I really don't want to think about. However, I had to realize that with the economic downturn, staying here may actually be the best for our family, at least for the time being. All I really know at this point is that whatever is meant to be will be and that things always work out they way they are suppose to, even if we happen to disagree. And while I truly believe that, I must say, my faith of late has not been very strong. All I can do is hope that God's plan will at some point coincide with mine.

No comments: