Sunday, February 15, 2009

Change Pot Tuesday

Well, after beginning our found money on such a good note - a $1 bill in the inaugural post, this week produced very little in the way of finding money. Highlights of the week are detailed below.


  • Three straight days of finding the big goose egg from Wednesday through Friday

  • Sixteen cents found on Saturday morning in a single location. I first spotted the penny, and as I was walking up to it, my eyes drifted back about a foot and I found the dime. After picking up the dime and penny, I turned and saw the nickel a few feet away. The 16 cents was found at the pay station of the WVU Mountainlair. We parked there because James' Saturday morning play group is right across the street from the Mountainlair.

  • Two cents found on Sunday. A single penny in two separate locations. The first was lying on the trash receptacle at the entrance of the Exxon station on Route 7 in Morgantown. It was obvious that no one had dropped the penny, but rather had intentionally laid the penny on the lid of the trash receptacle. The second was lying on the floor inside of Giant Eagle (grocery store) near one of the checkout lanes. The penny had been dropped and apparently rolled under one of the refrigerated cases that hold single serve bottles of soda.



It is probably best that I don't include the three cents I found in the "Take-a-Penny" tray at the gas station. (I did not actually take them, I only found them there.) I am also assuming I can't count the $2.56 I found lying on the bookcase in our den since it was our money to begin with.

In a twisted, but related way, I also found 31 intangible cents this past week. How could I have found intangible money? Well, regarding this particular 31 cents, I didn't actually "find" real money. What I found was 31 cents in the conception of money. On Friday, I stopped by the Kroger deli to pick up something for dinner. I purchased a pound of roast beef that rang up at $7.59 per pound. The sign inside the case said $7.39 per pound - a 20 cent difference. When I inquired about it with the deli clerk, I was told someone had put out the wrong sign and that the price was $7.59. He refused to give it to me for the price on the sign, which they have to do. So I asked as the register when I was checking out, and the nice cashier, Nicole, went back to the deli and had the guy reprice the lunchmeat since they had to sell it to me for the posted price. The lunch meat was actually just under a pound, so I only saw an 11 cent savings. On Sunday, the same thing happened to me at Advance Auto Parts. I bought two bottles of fuel injector cleaner because they were Buy-One-Get-One-Free. The shelf price was $2.69 each. At the register, the price rang up at $2.89 each. Apparently, it was an old price that no one every switched out. This time, however, the cashier had no problem with selling it to me at the reduced price. And so, between the two, I found 31 cents. Although, if I choose to donate my Change Pot to charity like the family that inspired this, it will be hard to donate the concept of 31 cents.

Weekly Total: $0.18
YTD Total:$1.18

No comments: