Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Stupidest Movies

Recently, Lori and I watched one of the stupidest movies of my lifetime and it prompted my to write this entry about the stupidest movies I have seen. The movie we watched recently was Burn After Reading. It starred George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and John Malkovich. The description on the back of the DVD case made it seem like a good choice. The plot appeared very funny - two gym employees find a disk of "top secret" CIA information and try to blackmail a couple of government employees in order to get money to pay for lots of cosmetic surgery. The problem with the movie was not the plot, it was the execution. Clooney's paranoid character is his second worst acting job ever (see list of stupidest movies below). Pitt's character was just plain stupid. And the only John Malkovich film I have ever liked was Con-Air. Lucky for us we rented this movie using a free movie rental coupon, so we weren't out any money.

So here is my list of the stupidest movies I have ever seen. Keep in mind, I don't not watch movies that are known to be stupid like Dude, Where's My Car or The Stupids.

7. Chocolat (2000) - Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp. Although I got the gist of the movie, something was missing that I could never quite put my finger on it. At the time I watched it, I would have rated it the stupidest, but having watched part of it a second time and getting a better understanding, it fell a few spots.

6. Lost in Translation (2003) - Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray. The title says it all. Plot was non-existent.

5. Fight Club (1999) - Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. Another one I never understood. To be honest, it was so bad, I don't even remember most of it. I do remember it being kind of dark and depressing, but like Lost in Translation the plot was DOA.

4. The Weatherman (2005) - Nicholas Cage and Michael Caine. Previews billed as a comedy, but this was pretty depressing. The concept was good, but poorly executed because drama overshadowed the expected comedy. The plot was as lost as Nicholas Cage's character.

3. Mars Attacks (1996) - Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close, and Annette Benning. A spoof on War of the Worlds with lots of cheesy special effects and very bad acting.

2. Burn After Reading (2008) - George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and John Malkovich. The should have titled this Burn After Watching. It was by far George Clooney's second worst acting job and probably Pitt's worst. The plot had great potential, but very poorly executed.

1. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) - George Clooney. This movie was so stupid, we turned it off after only 30 minutes and never ever finished watching it. ONLY AFTER we turn the movie off, did we burst out laughing at the fact we wasted 30 minutes watching something so stupid. By far Clooney's worst acting job, and I am not ganging up on George Clooney. I have like several of his movies - Batman and Robin, the Oceans Eleven trilogy, Leatherheads, and The Perfect Storm. Even his One Fine Day with Michelle Pfeiffer was half decent. And Clooney was excellent in the TV Series ER.

2 comments:

Mama10EE said...

OH MY GOSH...finally someone else who hates Oh Brother! My husband LOVES that movie and quotes it frequently, which I hate. And he has a knack of finding it on TV any time of any day. Ugh.

Have you seen Malkovich in Of Mice and Men with Gary Sinese? That was the first movie I saw him in, and loved it. I also like him in In The Line of Fire with Clint Eastwood. Great flick.

P10E said...

I thought that you had some taste. I think that I common theme for all of these is that they don't involve the sea. Oh, Brother Where Art Thou is definitly in my top three. After I read your post I will probably be filled with constant sorrow for you all my days.