Monday, November 3, 2008

Ohio State University

Today I visited the last of my potential graduate schools when I met with the history department at Ohio State University. Lori had a conference in Columbus, OH this past weekend, so we tacked on the extra day so I could visit the campus. I did not get an opportunity to check out the bookstore or the library because the campus is so large and I had to get back to the hotel to pick up James and Lori before check out. What I saw of the campus I really liked. Both Lori and I like the Columbus, OH area. It reminds me a lot of Indianapolis, which as everyone knows, I miss quite a bit.

My meeting went well and I learned a lot about the university and the department. It would be a nice place to study, but due to my interests, I would be traveling for weeks at a time to do my research because the necessary archives are on the east coast. The geographic scope of my research will probably limit itself once I get started, but currently I am anticipating my research taking me from Maine to South Carolina.

Applications are due by December 1st. I have everything complete an ready to submit except for my personal mission statement. I plan to complete that this weekend. Then the waiting game begins. I have heard from Delaware and William & Mary that my application pakcets have been received. I know Pittsburgh's was received because I hand-delivered it when I met with the department last week. Most schools will send out admissions notifications near the end of March / beginning of April. I promise to keep everyone posted.

1 comment:

Mama10EE said...

LOVE the degree countdown! Not many days left to go..woo hoo!