Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Change Pot Tuesday

Change Pot Tuesday is a weekly recap of finding money that other people have lost. However, it is more than just picking up pennies and collecting lost change. For those readers and followers who have begun following the Change Pot midway, Change Pot Tuesday is about charity. When the Change Pot reaches $100, it will be donated to charity and the process will be started all over again. Loyal readers and followers will have an opportunity to help me choose which charity will receive the money accumulated in the Change Pot. While, I don't expect to change the world with the Change Pot, I do hope to help a charity in some small way.

Thursday was an interesting day for the Change Pot, because I can not tell you exactly how much money I found that day. It's not that I found I lot, it really is that I don't know exactly how much. Here is why: I stopped by the Sheetz on Route 7 near I-68 on Thursday morning to get some breakfast before running some errands. I saw a penny on the floor between the registers and the coffee bar. My hands were full, so I couldn't pick it up. Continuing to look around, I
thought I saw a second penny under one of the racks at the counter. Again, I was unable to pick it up, but decided I would donate two cents to the Change Pot. However, when I returned to Sheetz after my errands to pick up something to drink for lunch with Lori, I found another penny near where I had seen the first penny earlier. Was this the same penny as before? Likely, but the coloring was a bit duller and it was not in the same spot. Sure, someone could have kicked it, but I just don't know. So did I find two cents or three? I picked this penny up, but the story doesn't end there. After paying for my drinks, I look down and see a dime underneath the same rack I thought I saw a penny earlier. So was my earlier penny and this dime one in the same? I don't know. So now I am not sure if i have found 11 cents or 13 cents, or something altogether different. I picked up the dime, but again the story doesn't end there. Later that evening, I ran to the Kroger in Sabraton (Route 7 in Morgantown) to get some milk. While I was there, I picked up some other things, so once again my hands were full. As a left the self-checkout lane, I look over at the checkout next to me and see a penny lying on the floor. Being unable to pick up the penny, I noted it and will donate another penny to the Change Pot. As I continued looking, I thought I saw a second dime in the checkout lane two over from where I was. Was it a dime, was it a penny? Are my eyes going bad and playing tricks on me? Maybe it was just a stain on the floor. After that morning's incident with the penny / dime under the candy rack, I have to wonder. So now I don't don't know if I have found 13 cents, 24 cents, or somewhere in between. I will donate 24 cents to the Change Pot. After all it's only pennies and dimes. And that 11 cents? Well, if it breaks my bank, then I need to be looking a lot harder for lost change.

On Friday, I found $0.06 in the parking lot next to our realtor's office. We had to go downtown to sign some papers and when we arrived, I found a nickel lying on the ground next to the parking meter. On the way out, I found a penny in the middle of the parking lot.

On Monday, I found four pennies in four separate places. The first was near the coffee counter at the Sheetz in Sabraton (Morgantown), WV. Later that day, I found three pennies at the UMBC campus in Baltimore. All three pennies were found as I got out of my car when parking at various spots on campus.

Weekly Total: $0.34
YTD Total: $7.10

No comments: