Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Wasting Money

As everyone knows, Lori and I are not ones to waste a lot of money. We are frugal to a point and do our best to balance our budget with a happy and enjoyable lifestyle. We watch every penny closely and do not indulge in friviolous spending. So you can imagine how disheartening it is to find out how much money we have wasted over the past couple of years.

Let me back up a step. I have been packing up the house for the past two days in preparation of our move. During that time, I have come across several items that we had purchased with good intentions, but have never even opened. Imagine how much money we could get if we could return all of those items. Unfortunately, we have had them for too long and it would take too much time to find the receipts. Here are a few of the items I discovered just today.


  1. A solid brass eyehole. We had intended to install this on our front door. We bought the eyehole when when bought the door two years ago, but just never got around to installing it.

  2. A tube of concrete sealer/silicone. I don't remember when or why we bought it, but chances are the sealant is no longer any good. Even unopened, it will only last so long.

  3. A 15 foot indoor extension cord. We could take this with us, and probably will, but if we haven't used it yet, it is not likely that we ever will.

  4. A twin pack of Woolite® Carpet Spot and Stain remover. Maybe we will use this as we clean the house before we go.

  5. A six outlet surge protector. If I remember right, we got this free after rebate, so maybe we didn't waste any money on it. We will pack this up and take it with us.



All of this was found in a small 2 foot wide by 9 inch deep closet. Imagine what I will find in other rooms of the house that are much larger. Not much we can do about it now, I just hope we don't find much more.

1 comment:

Mama10EE said...

That's not too bad.....I figured it was going to be bigger ticket items. When we moved in to this house (which was formerly my grandmother's for 56 years) we found my grandfather's ORIGINAL pay stubs from the 1940s, my dad's 3rd grade report card, numerous of pill bottles that were glass (so you know how old those bad boys were) and coupons clipped from circulars that expired in 1980. I kid you not.

Be thankful you haven't run into any of that stuff yet! Looking forward to seeing what else you find! Oh, and I have some boxes here...you'll have to help me remember to bring them in. Have you checked with Kroger to see if you can get any of their produce boxes, etc?