Sunday, December 28, 2008

Seasons of the Kitchen

A couple of months ago, I was "commissioned" to write a poem for an uncoming (potentially upcoming) cookbook for a local non-profit organization. At the time, I was busy trying to finish school, so I have just now had the time to write the poem. I had mulled the ideas over in my head the entire time, so it only took a few minutes to actually put it on paper. It is only my sceond "commission" ever, neither of which I did I ask for anything in return. This is only my first attempt, so let me know what you think.


Seasons of the Kitchen

Homemade soups
To warm our souls
On the cold winter days
Of fresh fallen snow

Easter bread and holiday ham
Springtime favorites to bake
Potlucks and pitch-ins
Always something to make

Cherries and berries
Summertime’s firsts
Ice tea and lemonade
To quench our thirst

Hotdogs and potato salad
Deviled eggs and more
For an outdoor barbeque
With campfire Smores

Grandma’s preserves
Take home a pair
Of first place ribbons
At the county fair

Popcorn balls and cereal squares
A caramel apple or two
For ghosts and goblins
And a Halloween few

Turkey and stuffing
And marshmallowed yams
Pineapples and cherries
Dress holiday hams

Cranberries and walnuts
And pumpkins spiced
A fruitful autumn harvest
For a Thanksgiving that’s nice

Candy canes and eggnog
Fruitcake delights
Sugar cookies for Santa
On Christmas Eve night

1 comment:

Mama10EE said...

I love it! So creative, and covers all the seasons well.